Languages / Platforms
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis
March 2014 to Present
LinkedIn - Mountain View, CA
Staff Software Engineer
March 2011 to March 2014
LinkedIn - Mountain View, CA
Sr. Software Engineer and Tech Lead
- Led development effort for the next-generation HTML5 mobile web front-end for LinkedIn (http://touch.linkedin.com).
October 2006 to Present
Symora, LLC – Birmingham, AL
Cofounder and Engineer
- Designed and developed Camadel, a web-based scientific assessment authoring and delivery product on the Rails platform.
- Designed and developed a scalable, web service based media server for uploading, transcoding, and serving many different types of video, audio, and image content. Written in Java on the J2EE platform, the Media Engine was used as a drop-in solution to provide media capability to our products.
- Designed and developed a number of small thick client and web products on the Microsoft .NET platform.
- Handled company formation, accounting, and various other business administration tasks.
January 2010 to February 2011
Academia.edu – San Francisco, CA
- Developed a number of independent site features, such as a friend recommendation engine, a notification system, and a Quora-style question-and-answer application.
- Put in place many backend performance optimizations, including query improvements and computational simplification of the existing codebase.
- Designed and implemented infrastructure updates for scaling a rapidly growing site under full load 24 hours a day.
August 2003 to October 2006
CTS, Inc. – Birmingham, AL
Senior Software Engineer (August 2004 to October 2006)
- Led architectural and detailed design efforts for a number of n-Tier, distributed applications. These design activities included both data design using ER diagrams, and class / collaboration modeling by way of UML. Used common design patterns such as Service Gateway and Façade to allow for highly scalable and loosely coupled solutions. Designed highly data-intensive applications calling for involved optimization and normalization strategies.
- Served as Project and Technical lead for applications consisting of web, thin client, and thick client interfaces. Technical lead responsibilities included both principal design and development activities.
- Designed highly dynamic web interfaces whose content, layout, and validations derived from database structure and declarative metadata. This dynamism allowed for rapid customization and maintenance.
- Developed reusable architectural components for corporate-wide use. Extended the Microsoft Enterprise Library providers to allow for custom processing.
- Participated in requirements gathering activities, which consisted of client interviews, interface prototyping, and formal documentation including use cases.
Software Engineer (August 2003 to August 2004)
- Designed and developed a Java Struts interface solution for a distributed application.
- Assisted in the design and development of EJB components and structural patterns for an n-Tier, distributed application. Development artifacts consisted both of application code and data access via stored procedures.
October 2002 to August 2003
REMTECH, Inc. – Fairfield, AL
- Developed and supported administrative web pages used to gather user information and to monitor system software such as the Norton Antivirus console.
- Developed automatic deployment scripts for WebSphere Application Server.
- Wrote a number of scripts for various other system administrative purposes, such as backup facilitation and batch printing.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Master of Science (M.S.), Computer Science, 2016 (expected)
University of Alabama at Birmingham
B.S. in Computer Science, August 2002
Graduated Cum Laude
Honored as the Outstanding Undergraduate in Computer and Information Sciences